Now significantly revised and expanded, James Jordan's groundbreaking book incorporates more than ten years of new conducting insights, pedagogy, and philosophy to create a resource that is not only informative but transformative.
Unique to this edition is the inclusion of a revolutionary DVD with Dr. Jordan and Eugene Migliaro Corporon of the University of North Texas. For the first time, a conducting text contains visual examples of patterns that with the help of state-of-the-art animation and multiple camera angles guide you to a deeper understanding of how conducting gesture influences sound.
Evoking Sound Second Edition includes:
- Expanded material on the applications of the theories of Laban for conductors
- Sequential development of technique
- Unique new graphic renditions of conducting patterns that show not only the pattern but also velocity of the pattern and possible rotation points
- Application of the theories of Hideo Saito
- Extended sections on breathing and its important role in conducting
- A refined introduction to Alexander Technique and Body Mapping
- Use of a baton and guidelines for working with both wind ensembles and orchestras
- Expanded discussion of the philosophy of conducting
- Focus on the importance of listening and its role in arriving at gesture that supports the singing process and the music
You will come away from Evoking Sound with a renewed sense of the totality of the conducting experience and also an understanding of how to better evoke honest and meaningful sounds from your choir.